As part of a community driven project we were engaged to look at the future regeneration of this 1880’s Victorian church building, located on the periphery of Brighton city centre. The notion of a ‘journey’ is the most instrumental design approach adopted in the development of this building proposition. The journey from street side to interior, and from ground level to a floating platform floor.
The journey is strengthened by two insertions into the street side elevations. The glass and steel structures frame views into the interior spaces of the church, creating visibility, and at night act as beacons to grab passing attention. The interior spaces are connected horizontally and vertically through a solid timber patented floor, with a viewing platform staircase and floating floor positioned in the high arches of the roof space. New materials were introduced that reflect the original concept of the existing church, drawing from its patterns and decorations.